There’s one Sunday every year that church leaders in Fresno and Clovis dread. They won’t tell you this, but I’m going to. It’s not a huge secret, but I’m going to tell you the reasons they dread it. It’s nothing scandalous, it’s actually for very practical reasons. It’s the day of the Two Cities Marathon. It just so happens that the Two Cities Marathon is on Sunday, Nov. 4th this year. And the hilarious thing is that Nov. 4th is the day we set our clocks back an hour… which always messes with church attendance as well.
Church leaders secretly dread this day for a couple of reasons:
- Some people don’t come to church that day because they’re running a marathon, including some church support staff
- Some people don’t come to church that day because the race route makes it difficult for them to get to church on time
- There are not very many visitors on that Sunday because of both of the reasons above
- People will forget to set their clocks back and mess up their times
Well, since you’re not sure if you’re going to church on that day anyways, I want to offer a solution to your dilemma.
- If you are running in the marathon. Go run it. Guilt free. Then come to NEXT at Two Cities Church that evening at 6pm at First Baptist Clovis. Come hear about the vision and mission of Two Cities Church. It’s a different kind of church. You’ll just have to trust me on that for now, until you come hear about it yourself.
- If you aren’t sure you’ll make it to church because of the race route… You can do two things: 1. Watch North Point Online in the morning (schedule below) and 2. Attend NEXT at Two Cities Church.
- If you would’ve visited a church on that day. Come to NEXT at Two Cities Church that evening at 6pm at First Baptist Clovis.
- If you forget to set your clock back, you’ve got enough time to get yourself re-oriented and come to NEXT at Two Cities Church.
I know it’s difficult for our community to visualize what it would look like to create a church that unchurched people would love to attend, so here’s an easy way… watch an example, online. Here at Two Cities Church, we are strategic partners with North Point Community Church in Atlanta, Ga. North Point creates irresistible environments for both the unchurched and churched in their community. We will do the same in our two cities.
Pacific Standard Time
You might be a runner. You might be inconvenienced by a marathon. You might be interested in our vision and mission. You might be relationally connected to someone on our team. You might be curious. You might be in a place of discontent. You might be ready for a change. You might be ready to be a part of something different. Run, sleep in or watch North Point Online… then come hang out with us, guilt free.